I love Thai food and Mel loves lobster. So when he makes his lobster Thai red curry, it’s a big hit. Here’s his version.
- 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 Thai chili pepper, minced (optional)
- 2 tablespoon red curry paste
- 1 small 5.6 oz can coconut milk
- 7 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 4 tablespoon water
- 3 teaspoon sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 red bell pepper
- green beans or asparagus
- 2 lobster tails, chopped
- In a saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add minced shallot (and Thai chili pepper), stirring until brown.
- Add red curry paste.
- Add coconut milk.
- Turn heat down to low/medium heat.
- Using the back of a spoon, mash the curry paste until it’s smooth and incorporated into the coconut milk.
- Add bay leaves, oyster sauce, water, sugar, and salt.
- Let shimmer for 5 minutes.
- Add bell pepper and asparagus.
- Add lobster tails.
- Stir occasionally to coat in curry.
- Cover saucepan and let simmer until vegetables and lobster are cook, about 5-7 minutes.
I forgot to get a nicer picture, but here’s the finished product.
In the past, Mel has also made it more saucy by adding a lot more water and red curry paste (below).