My hair is getting quite long so I’m trying to take better care of it by getting regular trims every six weeks and conditioning it as much as I can.
But some days it just feels really dry and blaaaaaaaah.
I heard coconut oil works well as a hair conditioner so I thought I’d try it out. I went to my local Whole Foods Market and picked up Barlean’s Extra Virgin Coconut Oil. There were a few other brands and I’m sure they all work well. I’ve been using it for the past month and so far I’m liking the results.
- Take some coconut oil and rub it in your hands. The heat from your hands will melt the oil.
- Divide your hair into sections and apply the oil to your hair. I divide my hair into three different sections (bottom, middle, and top).
- Depending on the length of your hair, you may need more oil. I use just enough to make my hair feel slippery and a little greasy. Don’t drench your hair or it’ll be harder to wash off.
- Make sure to concentrate on the ends of your hair.
- Pin your hair up so it’s out of your face.
- Leave the coconut oil in for an hour or put on a hair cap and sleep with it overnight.
- Wash your hair and style as usual.
My hair isn’t super healthy to begin with so it doesn’t work miracles, but it does make it feel softer and smoother. =) I use this treatment twice a week and it’s so quick and easy. After dinner, I slap it on and sometimes I’ll wash it off before bed or wait until the next morning.