A blog reader suggested that I do an updated post on my DIY Ikea Makeup Vanity and how it’s held up over the years and I think that’s a good idea. Since I didn’t include how I organized the vanity in the first post, I thought I’d take the time and do that as well.
**For a list of products used to build this vanity, please visit the original blog post.
I’ve used the vanity every single day over the last 2.5 years and I still love it. The glass top and glossy shelves make it so easy to wipe clean and keeps it looking new. If I had to change one thing, I would probably attach the legs closer together because I do sometimes worry about putting too much weight in the middle. I’m also still loving the stool because it’s small and doesn’t get in the way.
Above is how the vanity was originally set up and organized.
However, we recently rearranged the bedroom furniture and the vanity now sits in the corner between the closet and Mel’s nightstand. Since I tend to sit more to the right of the vanity, the mirror is hung off center. Moving it was not a problem at all and we just reattached the mirror.
The Godmorgon Box is great because it has so many compartments.
1) Face brushes and Q-tips
2) Eyeliners, eye pencils, and lip liners
3) Liquid foundations, tinted moisturizers, and highlighters that are better standing up than laying in the trays
4) Lipsticks and perfume
5) Precision brushes (i.e. angled eyeliner and pencil brushes)
6) Dense brushes for packing on eyeshadow and pigments
7) Blending brushes
8) Mascara primer, mascara, and eyebrow products (brush, spooly, and setting gel)
9) Lash glue and eye primers
The brush compartment lifts up and allows for more storage underneath. This is where I keep miscellaneous products such as a pencil sharpener, extra foundation, and eyelashes.
10) Eye shadow bases, pigments, and cream eye shadows. I don’t use these items often so I put them out of reach.
11) Brown and neutral eye shadows
12) Color eye shadows
13) Naked and Naked2 eye shadow palettes
14) Foundations, concealers, bronzers, and highlighters
16) MAC and Inglot eye shadow palettes
This vanity really keeps me in check because it forces me to purge and give away makeup when there’s no more space in the trays. This prevents me from accumulating more makeup and getting out of control. =)
If you’re looking for a way to organize all your makeup, I hope this post was helpful!