After making the lettering on the 49ers cake, I wanted to attempt it on a larger scale. Once again, my friend was having a birthday dinner so it was the perfect opportunity.
- Print out the desired lettering on home printer; place under wax paper; tape wax paper to table to prevent it from moving.
- Using the lettering as your guide, pipe the outline of each letter with royal icing onto wax paper; let dry to harden.
- Add water to the frosting a few drops at a time to make it a thin consistency (similar to cake batter).
- Once the outline has dried, fill the inside of each letter with the thin frosting. Use a toothpick to push the frosting into small corners and crevices.
- Let frosting dry and harden completely overnight (may take longer in cold weather).
- Once you are ready to decorate your cake, peel off each letter from the wax paper and attach to the cake with a little frosting.
- Print out an image BACKWARDS; place under wax paper; tape wax paper to table to prevent it from moving.
- Using piping gel (Michaels) in a frosting bag, lightly trace all the lines of the image on the wax paper.
- Carefully lift up wax paper and place onto cake with piping gel face down.
- Lightly press the wax paper to transfer the piping gel outline onto the cake.
- Carefully lift off the wax paper. The piping gel is a clear gel so you should now see the image outline on your cake.
- Using buttercream frosting, trace and fill in the image.