Birthday cakes were great practice while I was taking my cake decorating courses. One of my friends is a big 49ers fan so I thought a little football field cake would be cute.
- For the “49ers” lettering, pipe the outline of the each number with royal icing onto wax paper; let dry to harden.
- Add water to the remaining frosting a few drops at a time to make it a thin consistency similar to cake batter.
- Once the outline has dried, fill the inside of each number with the thin frosting. Use a toothpick to push the frosting into small corners and crevices.
- Let frosting dry and harden completely overnight (may be longer in cold weather).
- Once you are ready to decorate your cake, peel off each number from the wax paper and attach to the cake with a little frosting.
NOTE: Do not pipe royal frosting on top of buttercream frosting. As you can see, the red coloring from the end zone (buttercream) bled into the white “Happy Birthday” text (royal).